Semester ABROAD Toronto

Spend a semester abroad in Toronto, the capital of the Canadian province of Ontario! Enjoy excellent teaching and a wide variety of activities at the host university, which is located in the heart of Toronto and is thus the perfect base for exploring this vibrant city. Trips, e.g. to the Niagara Falls or other major cityin Canada or even the United States make your semester abroad complete.


Faculty of Design

Fashion Journalism and Communication: 3rd semester

Orientation: End of August
Lecture and examination period
: September – December

English proficiency at B2 level

Deadline: 15 January (in your 1st semester)

  • The application takes place online via our application form (see button
  • Please submit the following documents with your online application:
    • Letter of Motivation in English (approx. 1 page; Key questions: Why
      would you like to spend a semester abroad at Toronto Metropolitan
      University? How will your semester abroad at Toronto Metropolitan
      University contribute to your personal and academic goals?)
    • Proof of English proficiency at B2 level (e.g. school leaving
      certificate or TOELF, IELTS or DAAD language certificate); if no valid
      language certificate can be presented, a free placement test can be
      arranged after consultation with the International Office.


Three exchange spots are available for exchange each year. If more qualified applications are received than there are spots available, the International Office / the Dean(s) of Studies decide(s) on the allocation of places.

You will continue to pay your regular tuition fees at Hochschule Fresenius during the semester abroad, as you will still be enrolled. Since this program is an exchange program, no tuition fees are charged at the host

Please plan for additional expenses, such as Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), flights, accommodation, insurance and living costs.

The semester abroad can be funded, e.g. through Auslands-BAföG and / or the PROMOS scholarship.

A valid passport is required. Please check the validity of your passport early and apply for a new one in good time, if necessary.
For a semester abroad in Canada for up to six months, German citizens (and citizens of most other European countries) do not need a visa, but only a so-called Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). If a longer stay or paid work on campus is planned, a Study Permit is required.

Program participants are responsible for booking their own flight.

Program participants are responsible for arranging their own
accommodation. The host university provides information materials to assist in the search for accommodation.

For more information, please refer to the guidelines on Ilias or to the website of the host university.