Spend a semester in the world metropolis of New York and experience „the city that never sleeps“ up close! Depending on your major and course selection, you will study at Berkeley Collge and/or Pace University and spend your day-to-day life in downtown Manhattan!
Summer semester: beg. April – late June
Winter semester: late September – mid December
Note: Due to the incompatible semester times of Germany and America,
the courses take place exclusively with Fresenius students. You will
however be taught by local lecturers.
April 15 / October 15 in your 3rd semester (part-timestudents in 5th semester)
Note: Students of the study programs International Business Management and Tourism- Hotel- and Eventmanagement do NOT have to apply for the Study Abroad semester
To enter New York you need the so-called J1 – student visa. With this visa, you may enter the country 30 days before the start of lectures and must leave the USA 30 days after the end of lectures. You may complete an internship following your studies, which may be remunerated! If you follow an internship, you must leave 30 days after the end of the internship. The International Office will inform you as soon as you can apply and provide you with step-by-step instructions.
In order for us to apply for the required DS-2019 form in the USA for you, you must send the following documents as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15 (summer semester stay) or May 15 (winter semester stay). You will receive all visa documents from your program coordinator.
1. Study Abroad Application: You do not need to submit Proof of English Proficiency
2. Proof of Proficiency in English (Transcript of Records): Available in the Examination Office or in the Service Lounge at your location – It does NOT mean the result of the English test!
3. Copy of the school leaving certificate (= Abiturzeugnis) It does not need to be certified or translated
4. Proof of vaccination: It is mandatory to provide proof of measles, mumps and rubella vaccinations. The form must be completed, signed and stamped by your doctor. A copy of your vaccination card is not sufficient! If you no longer have your vaccination card, you must have your doctor determine the titer value and enter it on the form.
5. COVID vaccination certificate, please submit English language proof of your vaccination status (the EU multilingual certificate or a copy of your vaccination certificate).
6. Health insurance form
7. Bank Proof English language proof from your local bank of sufficient funds: a balance of at least $7,000.00 must be shown. If you want to do an internship, you must show 14,000.00 US dollars. It is mandatory that your name (or that of your parents), the account number, and the amount be on the bank statement. The proof must be printed on the bank’s letterhead and signed.
8. Copy of passport
You are responsible for booking your own flight. You will be informed about the optimal arrival time by the International Office as soon as you have received a confirmation from Berkeley College / Pace University. The cheapest flights are from Frankfurt to JFK. Common airlines for this route are Lufthansa, United, KLM, DELTA, AirFrance and Singapore Airlines.
Unfortunately, we do not have any student residences for you in New York. However, you will receive sufficient information from the International Office about accommodation providers. Please feel free to check out the following links: http://hs-fresenius.org/nyc-neighborhood-guide & http://hs-fresenius.org/accommodation-tips-and-tricks
You will continue to pay your regular tuition fees at Hochschule Fresenius during the semester abroad, as you will still be enrolled. In addition, after signing the contract for the semester abroad, you will pay a one-time payment for the entire semester abroad, which covers, among other things, the tuition fees at our partner universities. In addition, there are costs for the visa, flight, accommodation, insurance and living on site. Please feel free to attend one of our information sessions or book a consultation appointment if you would like more information on this. You will also find information on funding opportunities, such as information on our merit scholarship here.